Monday 10 October 2011

Make a scarf in a weekend

I'm just in the process of finishing off this scarf (sewing up). I made it over the weekend, just devoting a few hours here and there. It's also really simple but very pretty. The pattern was taken from a great book called 'I love crochet' by Rachel Henderson ans Sarah Hazell.

It's a great book for beginners. I used it to teach myself how to crochet. The book suggests using Rowan Kidsilk Haze, a very fine yarn. I thought I'd go a bit more wintery with a heavier yarn. I used Drops Eskimo in Parti. For my yarn I used 3.5 x 50g balls. The Rowan Kidsilk Haze version uses 2 x 25g balls.



Here is the original pattern. I probably did deviate a bit once I got going. I also stopped after 3 rounds of the large circle as I used a thicker yarn.

Hook: 4.5mm (Kidsilk), I used 8mm for the Eskimo.

Tension:
Small circle - 7.5cm diameter
Large circle - 13cm diameter

Pattern:

Small circle (make 12)
Make 4ch, ss into first ch to form a ring.

Round 1: 3ch, 2tr into ring, 3ch [3tr into ring, 3ch] 4 times, ss into top of 3ch
Round 2: Ss into each 2tr, ss into ch sp, 3ch, 2tr into same sp as ss, 3 ch [3tr into next ch sp, 3ch] 4 times, ss into top 3ch. Fasten off.

Large circle (make 7)

Round 1: 3ch, 2tr into ring, 3ch [3tr into ring, 3ch] 4 times, ss into top of 3ch
Round 2: Ss into each of the 2tr, ss into ch sp, [3ch, 2tr, 3ch, 3tr, 3ch] all into same sp as ss, [3tr, 3ch] twice into each ch sp, ss into top of 3ch.
Round 3: Ss into each of 2tr, ss into ch sp, 3ch, 2tr into same as ss, 1ch [3tr, 1ch] twice in to next ch sp, [3tr, 1ch] twice into last ch sp, ss into top of 3ch.
Round 4: Ss into each of 2tr, ss into ch sp, 3ch, 2tr into same sp as ss, 1ch, [3tr, 1ch] into each ch sp, ss into top of 3ch. Fasten off.

Making up:

Sew a pair of small circles between each large circle (i'll post photos of what this should look like once I'm done). If you're feeling pretty sew on some sequins/seed beeds in the centre of each circle.

No comments:

Post a Comment